Take your time, relax, eat. There are dozens of places to eat within a stone's throw of nearly every street corner of San Miguel de Allende. Out of all the things to do and see here, food commanded the most time. Which is fine with us, eating is fun. SMA has a variety of options from upscale dining to street carts. All the food is very fresh, sometimes to the point where the restaurateur will take off on a motorbike for the market after you order (hence, take your time). We will be soon posting a list of some favorite places to eat in our list section. For now, some culinary highlights:
- Tacos! Freshly made corn tortillas tacos. If you order a taco anywhere here, you will NOT get packaged tortillas. We had awesome tacos both from carts and a bunch of different little restaurants.
- The hot dog cart (believe it or not). Maybe it was because it was after midnight but it was one of the best I've ever had. A fresh roll buttered and grilled, grilled hot dog split lengthwise covered in fresh cilantro, salsa, jalapenos and some kind of mayo sauce.
- Mini tortas. They look kind of like El Salvador's Pupusas with stuff on top and bite sized.
- "Volcano Bowls" from Los Milagros. These are basically really large guacamole vessels heated to a very high temperature which cooks steak and shrimp then smothered in salsa verde.
- Steak Tampiquena from Tio Lucas. This is a traditional dish with a grilled steak, fresh guacamole, chicken and cheese enchilada and tortillas.
- Huevos Rancheros from Casa Sierra Nevada
- A variety of salsas and limes. Most everything came many salsa options, I like options. A notable one, that seemed unique to SMA is a buffalo hot wing-type sauce that we coined, "inferno sauce".
Maybe you should eat Mexican food tonight.